Saturday, November 22, 2014

The Prayer Box

Today, I'm going to tell you a secret.

. . .

In a dark corner under my bed, between the cobwebs, roll-up exercise mat and Tiffany blue wedding invitation kits (faith is the substance of things hoped for, right? ;) ), sits an old shoebox.

It's lime green with purple spots all over it, leftover from a purchase at some bargain store. Nothing special to look at, not of much use to anyone or anybody . . . but me.

For me, it's become a very special place, where me and God share private thoughts and conversations.

It's my prayer box.

Every time I have a need, or someone asks me to pray for them, I write the request on a neon, half-inch sticky note, fold it together, and slip it through the hole I cut in the top of the shoebox.

Then I go through the old requests, pray for each one, and write down the answered ones on my "Answers" list.

These aren't what some people refer to as "gum machine" prayers. The very thought! No, these are heartfelt needs and maybe a few wants that only God and me know about. He's interested in every part of us, our thoughts and wishes included, so why not tell Him? He can do something about it!

Here are a few ways I've seen Him answer:
  • a professional camera for my photography biz (the exact body and lenses I prayed for)
  • a car
  • my best friend got married (long story)
  • a writer friend signed with an agent 
  • several relationships strengthened/mended/restored
  • lost loved ones who were saved

This may seem silly to some, but I've had 30 prayer requests answered within the last few years. It's not me, others were praying, too. Nothing magical about the box, either.

It's our great, big, special God.

He is so good to me. And the least I can do is thank Him for His answers, whether they be, "no," "yes," or "wait." (I have a lot of "waits.") Haha! What better way to keep up with these than a prayer box?

Want to make your own?

You'll need:
  • 1 shoebox
  • 1 pen
  • 1 package of 1/2" sticky notes
  • paper to record answers (Don't forget to write the dates asked and answered!!!)

Try it. You'll be amazed at God. At how big and awesome and faithful He is. "Jesus Is On the Main Line," people. ;)


Do you already have a prayer box? Or a prayer list you keep up with? Share your ideas and ways you've seen God answer prayer!

4 comments:

  1. I remember you telling me about this. Love it!!! I think I need to do this. My preacher was talking about how we pray to God for stuff, and then whenever He answers the prayer, we forget to thank Him.

    I get so caught up in what I want that I forget what I've already been given.
    Thank you for the reminder! :)
    (And I can't wait until I can say my writer friend signed with an agent!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, Natalie. I'm going to start a blessings jar in January. Just an old mason jar to keep on my chest of drawers. I was planning to use plain white paper, but you've given me the idea to use colored notes. I think the colors will lift my spirit as well as what's written on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad this post inspired the colors, Elaine! I LOVE color. :) Another blessing to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!